Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Box Gardening Challenge

Box Gardening Challenge.  The development of a box garden can be a rewarding process for maintaining your thoughts occupied, get some physical exercise, and mental fulfillment. It can also be developed for next to nothing at all (about $60 for a 4 X 6 foot box). I imagined I would replace the minor sizzling box in our back yard that permitted only 4 tomato plants with a larger plot that was each economical but created more veggies with the least volume of function out in the sizzling sun right here in southern Virginia.
I started with a sketch and went to the regional home supply keep with the company conviction that I would depart with all the supplies needed for the activity. An hour or so later, this job was full. Outsunny Rattan 3-Seater Sofa Chair W/ Iron Frame-Black 5060348504276 The listing consists of a 50 ft. roll or three ft. broad fencing. You know, the wire fence with the 2" X 3" openings. Then I purchased 8 of those six ft. stockade fence boards in the rough lower lumber part ($2 every single) along with 4 low-cost one X 4's, also six ft. prolonged. Can you see it? Two of the 6 ft. fence boards stacked horizontally and two of the six ft. 1 X 4's nailed vertically at every single end. That's a single side of the box full. Do it again and 2 sides are complete. Then reduce 2 ft. off the remaining four fence boards and the box is nearly total. Get them outside and nail two of the boards to the edges of the 6 ft. boards. You now have a 1 ft. deep box, 4ft. X 6ft. with four vertical corner posts.
The wire is then reduce in six ft. and 4 ft. lengths with wire cutters. By now you can see that there is sufficient wire to span the complete 20 ft. to wrap about the box perimeter. Each and every wire fence section can later on be folded down for easy entry to the plants inside the box. But since the vertical 1 X 4's are six ft. large, the wire fencing wants to cover the remaining upper three ft. of the box height. So, cut much more fencing to cover the upper twenty ft. of the box perimeter. The remainder of the 50 ft. fence will cover the best of the box.
The signifies of connect the fence sections to each other can be tie tags, twist ties, or these cotter pins that can be very easily eliminated and reinstalled when completed weeding or choosing vegetables. I employed cotter pins for ease of removal. Pin all the fence sections with each other at the four corners of each and every segment and possibly a couple more along the horizontal lengths.
The remaining activity is to find the box in the optimum sunny area and fill it with some backyard high quality soil. Then wait until finally the end of the final frost in March to begin purchasing for the tomato plants, peppers, and onions. The only question mark in my thoughts resides with these "pesky" squirrels. I just know they'll uncover a way to sneak by means of that fencing. Maybe the fencing wants to have smaller sized openings. Tying them together will also be a challenge to remove any gaps. Is it legal to shoot squirrels with a BB gun? I hear they're quite excellent consuming. Taste like chicken. Just kidding.
If ample weekend gardeners do this, we could overflow the farmers' markets all next summer season with sufficient added to give to our homeless neighbors. And all for much less than $75 per home.